One of our readers, Bob Suppa, now of Virginia Beach, Va., sent us these seven stunning photos of Fairmont and Marion County from the 1970’s and 80’s. If you’ve got photos to share, please reach out to us! We’ll be happy to credit however you like.
1. The Low Level (Nickle) Bridge
2. Sandblasting the Low Level Bridge
Bob writes: “Sandblasting before painting. Obviously OSHA was not present back then. I watched the guy climb all over those girders without fear.”
3. Abandoned Tracks to Barrackville Mine
Maybe going to Consol No. 7?
4. Valley Falls When You Could Swim There
5. And this guy didn’t care about the undertow…
Bob writes: “We were told repeatedly as kids to never get near the falls or we would be ‘sucked’ under water. Apparently the one fellow did not care!”
6. These Stunning Shots of the Highlevel Bridge
7. Taken from the Low Level Bridge