Life in West Virginia has changed a lot since we were growing up here in the 1970’s. Share this if you remember any of these!
1. Calling your neighbors Mr. and Mrs. – Do kids ever do this nowadays outside school?
2. Leaving your door unlocked at night – Nobody was going to steal anything. Which is good because you had nothing worth stealing.
3. Your school being in your neighborhood – Anybody else think consolidation was a bad idea?
4. Walking to school – Because school was so close you could just walk. In the early 70’s, 50% of all kids walked to school. Today less than 10% do.
5. Spending the summer at the playground – What were those people called who coordinated activities?
6. Drinking Koolaid at Vacation Bible School – This was a BIG DEAL for some of us.
7. Rooting for the City of Champions – Both the Steelers and the Pirates were World Champions in 1979.
8. Going shopping downtown – Before malls killed everything.
9. Drive-ins – Was there a better place to spend a summer evening?
10. Shopping for school clothes at Hills – Before Wally World, we had Hills (or Hecks)
11. Arch Moore – Before the corruption scandle
12. Passing notes in class – What is this texting you speak of?