This year will be the 98th annual Veterans Day Parade in Welch, West Virginia, down in McDowell County. We asked our friends at the McDowell County Historical Society and they gave us these great photos of parades past.
1. Here come the majorettes in a 1950’s parade
2. The first parade was held in 1919
3. Even in the 1950’s horses were a popular parade addition
4. Look at the size of that crowd!
5. Does anybody know what these masks are?
6. Our friend Renee Bolden called it “best thing that happens in the county every year”
7. Did we mention the crowds?
8. Here’s the Olga Coal Camp’s womans club float from a 1950’s parade
9. In 1957, former President Harry Truman came for the parade.
10. He’s just one of several presidents to attend.
11. Saluting their former commander and chief.
12. It seems like everyone marched in the parade!
13. Today the town may be different but the parade remains.
14. McDowell County turns out every November 11 to salute America’s Heroes
15. Here’s a float from the 2010 parade
16. The 2015 parade will be the town’s 96th
17. It starts at 10 a.m. downtown!