There’s no doubt that Monongalia County is one of the most beautiful counties in the Mountain State. We found these photos taken in the 70’s by the federal government. They show the haunting beauty of these small communities.
1. A former railroad bridge over Decker’s Creek
2. The Norris Family farm in Cheat Neck
3. More of the Norris Farm
4. A cemetery in Cheat Neck
5. The John Bly House, once a stagecoach stop on the Morgantown and Uniontown Turnpike
6. The interior of a Coke Oven dome
7. “Downtown” Richard. Notice the company housing on either side of the road.
8. Another old farm
9. A barn in Cheat Neck
11. Scotts Run Mine in 1932
We know this photo is older but it’s pretty cool so we HAD to include it.