Shopping with the family is a favorite memory, especially since many stores have long since closed. Do you remember shopping at any of these?
1. G.C. Murphy
A chain of five-and-dime variety stores that operated from 1906 into the 1980s. Remember getting a vanilla or cherry Coke at the lunch bar?
2. The Diamond Department Store
It began as a small shoe store after being founded by Roane County native Wehrle B. Geary in 1906. Eventually shoppers could visit the beauty shop on the mezzanine, or try to snag a bargain in the Budget Store there.
3. J.G. McCrory’s
Remember when a dime really could buy a lot here? The York, Pa.-based chain sold everything from housewares to penny candy. And don’t forget the pet department, which offered plenty of second-chance gold fish.
4. Hills Department Stores
Who doesn’t remember the smell of popcorn at its snack bar? Or buying school clothes from the long line of metal racks? One of the earlier discount department store chains, it began in 1957 and lasted until being acquired by Ames in 1999.
5. F.W. Woolworth Company
One of the original five-and-dime stores, the first Woolworth’s opened in Utica, New York, in early 1878 and the last Woolworth’s closed its remaining store in 1997.
6. Heck’s Department Store
This was one of our own, because the company was founded by Boone County natives and businessmen Fred Haddad, Tom Ellis, Lester Ellis and wholesale distributor Douglas Cook. A great local meeting place, the company ceased operations in 1990 after a 31-year run.
7. Stone & Thomas Department Store
A Mountain State original that got its start in 1847 on Market Street in Wheeling before expanding to Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio. The company was bought out in 1998 by Elder-Beerman, after having once been the state’s biggest department store.
8. Hartley’s Department Store
Christmas was a bright, dazzling time at the multi-floor store in downtown Fairmont where shoppers took advantage of a manned elevator to shop for everything from fabric to household goods. It dated back to the 1880s and was officially known as the J.M. Hartley and Son Company. It closed more than three decades ago.