West Virginia’s covered bridges are each beautiful and unique.

It’s no wonder they are some of the most popular and photographed  landmarks.

There are still 17 in the state. Which one is your favorite?

1. Barrackville Covered Bridge, Marion County

This Marion County icon was built in 1853 by Lemuel Chenoweth, who is also known for building the Philippi Covered Bridge.  It crosses Buffalo Creek and is 136 feet long. It was almost lost during the Civil War when a general ordered it to be burned to impede enemy forces, but was ultimately spared. A local couple convinced Gen. William “Grumble” Jones to change his mind.

2. Philippi Covered Bridge, Philippi

Perhaps the most famous of all since this bridge was the site of the first land battle of the Civil War. There was a surprise Union attack on the Confederates during the Battle of Philippi, and northern forces used it as a barrack after their victory. It was built in 1852 and crosses the Tygart River. More recently, it survived a fire and was rebuilt while an anxious state eagerly watched for its return. Vehicular traffic still travels across it. Today it is the state’s oldest and longest remaining covered bridge.

3. Carrollton Covered Bridge, Barbour County

Times have been tough recently for this historic structure which was built in 1856. Arson has been ruled the cause of an August 2017  fire which nearly destroyed it. It has since reopened to traffic crossing the Buckhannon River. It is West Virginia’s second-longest bridge, and third oldest.

4. Center Point Covered Bridge, Doddridge County

Built in 1888, this 42-foot long bridge spans Pike’s Fork (Middle Fork) of McElroy Creek. Although it was renovated in 2002, it no longer traffic bearing.

5. Dents Run Covered Bridge, Monongalia County

Located at Laurel Point, this bridge was built in 1889 by the County Commission. At that time, the stone abutments and wood framework construction cost $448. It is 40-feet long and crosses Dent Run Creek. It was restored in 1984, and is the county’s only remaining covered bridge.

6. Fish Creek Covered Bridge, Wetzel County

Built in 1881 near Hundred, this structure is 30 feet long and is the only remaining covered bridge in Wetzel County. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

7. Fletcher Covered Bridge, Harrison County

Also known as Ten Mile Creek Covered Bridge, the 62-foot long span has local roots. Sones used in the abutments came from a nearby quarry. It is still in regular use today.

8. Hokes Mill Covered Bridge, Greenbrier County

Also known as Second Creek Covered Bridge, it was built in 1889. This restored bridge is 81.5 feet long.

9. Indian Creek Covered Bridge, Monroe County

One of the most photographed in the state, this bridge was constructed in 1903 by craftsmen who were only 16 and 18 years old at the time. It is 48 feet long and crosses Indian Creek.

10. Laurel Creek Covered Bridge, Monroe County

The Laurel Creek Covered Bridge was built in 1911. It is 22 feet long and crosses over Laurel Creek. It is the shortest covered bridge in the state. The bridge was renovated in 2002 and still carries traffic.

11. Locust Creek Covered Bridge, Pocahontas County

There’s a quaint, primitive beauty to this span which was built in 1870, is 113 feet long and crosses Monroe Creek. It was closed to traffic in 1990 after a replacement span was built adjacent to it. However it is now open to pedestrians.

12. Milton/Mud River Covered Bridge, Cabell County

Built in 1876, this is believed to have been the most “well-traveled” of West Virginia’s covered bridges, according to transportation officials. It was built in 1875 and formerly spanned the Mud River at Milton in Cabell County. It has been relocated twice, including 1997 when it was moved to a temporary site near its original location. It was moved again in 2001 to a new location crossing a pond at the Pumpkin Festival Park for pedestrians. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

13. Sarvis Fork Covered Bridge, Jackson County

Also known as the Sandyville Covered Bridge it built circa 1890, originally spanning John Carnahan’s Fork (a branch of Mill Creek). It was later moved, and rebuilt over the left fork of the Sandy River. It was restored in 2000, and is open to traffic.

14. Simpson Creek Covered Bridge, Harrison County

Also known as Hollins Mill Covered Bridge, this 74-foot-long span was built in 1881. It was relocated after being washed out by a flood, and now serves pedestrians at the state Highways’ District Four headquarters.

15. Staats Mill Covered Bridge, Jackson County

This bridge, which was built across the Tug Fork of Big Mill Creek in 1888, came at the request of citizens who petitioned for it. It features unique, intricate timberwork, and was named for an early county settler who played an important role in its development. In 1983 it was relocated across a pond at Cedar Lakes Conference Center and is open to pedestrians.

16. Walkersville Covered Bridge, Lewis County

Built in 1903, it is 54 feet long and crosses Right Fork of the West Fork River. Restoration work was done to it in 2004.